Birmingham

Aston Lower Grounds

near Villa Park
Trinity Road
BIRMINGHAM

Telephone: N/A
Fax: N/A

Email:
Website:

Type: Cinder (no longer exists - built over), 501y, lanes, lane straight

Authority:
Ceremonial County: West Midlands

NUTS Name: Birmingham (ALG)

Electronic Map Links:
Multimap 1:10,000 (Street Level)
Multimap 1:25,000 (Area Level)
Multimap 1:50,000 (Area Level)
Multimap 1:100,000 (Road Level)
Multimap 1:200,000 (Road Level)
Streetmap (Street Level)
Streetmap (Area Level)
Streetmap (Road Map)

OS National Grid Reference: SP 077902
National Grid Reference: 407700, 290200

Paper Maps:
A-Z Birmingham #
A-Z Birmingham Mini #
A-Z West Midlands 8M 69
A-Z Birmingham (Ed 2A and older) #
OS Explorer Map: 220

Train: Witton

Pictures: Please browse the selection here.

fiogf49gjkf0d
The 1890 OS map image is produced from the www.old-maps.co.uk service with permission of Landmark Information Group Ltd. and Ordnance Survey.

The display of inline maps of track locations is no longer
a free service and so has had to be withdrawn

Please use the Electronic Map links

Sponsorship for www.runtrackdir.com is being sought
Please contact Tim Grose


Click the picture for a larger view

fiogf49gjkf0d
The 1890 OS map image is produced from the www.old-maps.co.uk service with permission of Landmark Information Group Ltd. and Ordnance Survey.
Click here to see the list of pictures for this track.




Other Info:

fiogf49gjkf0d
The track was part of the Aston Lower Grounds which was a Victorian leisure facility similar to Crystal Palace and were built in the 1870s & 1880s by a Mr. Quilter. Other facilties included a Great Hall, ornamental lake and formal gardens. The track was a red ash one, 501 yards in length, near rectangular in shape, and went around a cricket/football pitch which was sometimes referred to as Lower Grounds Meadow. The ground had a 1500 seat covered grandstand which backed onto Trinity Road. Aston Villa FC played here in 1875-6 and the 1884 & 1886 FA Cup Semi Finals were staged here. The track was also used for cycling. By the 1890s the Lower Grounds Meadow had been sold off for housing and now Nelson, Jardine & Endicott Roads occupy the site. A new ground was built over the site of the gardens & lake immediately south-east of the original track and was used during the early 1890s for athletics. This ground was acquired, initially on a rental basis but with an option to buy, by Aston Villa in 1896 and what was later to be known as Villa Park opened on 17th April 1897.

Last update: 29/12/2001

Please send any amendments to Tim Grose

UK Running Track Directory
© Copyright Tim Grose 2003