Belle Vue Athletics Ground

Hyde Road



Type: Cinder (no longer exists), 440y, lanes, lane straight

Ceremonial County: Greater Manchester

NUTS Name: Manchester (BVG)

Electronic Map Links:
Multimap 1:10,000 (Street Level)
Multimap 1:25,000 (Area Level)
Multimap 1:50,000 (Area Level)
Multimap 1:100,000 (Road Level)
Multimap 1:200,000 (Road Level)
Streetmap (Street Level)
Streetmap (Area Level)
Streetmap (Road Map)

OS National Grid Reference: SJ 872964
National Grid Reference: 387200, 396400

Paper Maps:
A-Z Greater Manchester 4C 136
A-Z Manchester 2C 110
A-Z London Mini 3A 88
OS Pathfinder Map: 724


The display of inline maps of track locations is no longer
a free service and so has had to be withdrawn

Please use the Electronic Map links

Sponsorship for is being sought
Please contact Tim Grose

Other Info:
This was a level cinder track, 440y in length and 7 yards wide all round and was inside a 3.5 laps to the mile cinder cycle track which was 9 yards wide on the finishing straight and had 7 feet high banked bends. It was opened on 25th August 1888 and used by Salford Harriers for their track and field meetings. The great match Parry versus Thomas took place here in 1888 watched by a crowd of over 10,000. The track was situated within the Belle Vue Zoological Gardens which opened in 1836. A detailed history of these can be found on the Belle Vue Revisited website. Pedestrian events were held from the 1860s at the "Belle Vue Grounds" which was presumably also within the gardens although the nature of the track is not known. The Belle Vue speedway track was built on top of the running track and opened on 29th March 1929 and was also known as the Hyde Road Stadium. Although mainly a speedway track used by the Belle Vue Aces it was also used for athletics by schools. The stadium and the zoo closed in 1987 to provide a site for redevelopment. Prior to moving to Hyde Road, the speedway club had their first meeting on 28th July 1928 at the nearby Belle Vue greyhound stadium Kirkmanshulme Lane, Gorton, MANCHESTER, M18 7BA and following closure of Hyde Road, they returned here in 1988.

Last update: 03/02/2002

Please send any amendments to Tim Grose

UK Running Track Directory
© Copyright Tim Grose 2003