Woolwich

Woolwich Stadium

Stadium Road
LONDON

Telephone: N/A
Fax: N/A

Email:
Website:

Type: Cinder (no longer exists - derelict), , lanes, lane straight

Authority:
Ceremonial County: Greater London

NUTS Name: London (Wo)

Electronic Map Links:
Multimap 1:10,000 (Street Level)
Multimap 1:25,000 (Area Level)
Multimap 1:50,000 (Area Level)
Multimap 1:100,000 (Road Level)
Multimap 1:200,000 (Road Level)
Streetmap (Street Level)
Streetmap (Area Level)
Streetmap (Road Map)

OS National Grid Reference: TQ 426774
National Grid Reference: 542600, 177400

Paper Maps:
A-Z Kent 7B 50
A-Z London Master 52Pc 108 (E)
A-Z London Atlas/DeLuxe 8K 79
A-Z London 7D 82
Collins London Comprehensive 165 EM80
Collins London 70 C7
Collins London Mini 35 B3
OS Explorer Map: 162
OS Pathfinder Map: 1176

Train: Woolwich Arsenal

Pictures: Please browse the selection here.

The display of inline maps of track locations is no longer
a free service and so has had to be withdrawn

Please use the Electronic Map links

Sponsorship for www.runtrackdir.com is being sought
Please contact Tim Grose


Click the picture for a larger view
Click here to see the list of pictures for this track.




Other Info:

fiogf49gjkf0d
This former cinder track was originally known as the Garrison Athletic Ground as it belonged to Woolwich Royal artillery. The 1924 WAAAs championships were held here. It was at what is now waste land opposite the site of the former Queen Elizabeth Hospital which is undergoing redevelopment. There is no sign of the track itself but it appears to have been in an amphitheatre part of which is still visible although the side nearest Stadium Road was flattened in 1999 and turned into a car park. There was a large stand with a capacity of approximately 1260 on the straight furthest away from Stadium Road and the seating footings can still be seen today under the dense overgrowth. It is believed the ground stopped being used for anything in about 1990 although it is unclear when the track stopped being used as it is depicted as a rugby ground on the latest Collins map. The track was however in use until at least 1962 as it is in the AW list of tracks of that year.

Last update: 10/06/2000

Please send any amendments to Tim Grose

UK Running Track Directory
© Copyright Tim Grose 2003