White City

White City Stadium

British Broadcasting Corporation
White City
201 Wood Lane
LONDON
W12 7TS

Telephone: N/A
Fax: N/A

Email:
Website:

Type: Cinder (no longer exists - built over), 400m/440y, 7 lanes, 7 lane straight

Authority:
Ceremonial County: Greater London

NUTS Name: London (WC)

Electronic Map Links:
Multimap 1:10,000 (Street Level)
Multimap 1:25,000 (Area Level)
Multimap 1:50,000 (Area Level)
Multimap 1:100,000 (Road Level)
Multimap 1:200,000 (Road Level)
Streetmap (Street Level)
Streetmap (Area Level)
Streetmap (Road Map)

OS National Grid Reference: TQ 231809
National Grid Reference: 523100, 180900

Paper Maps:
A-Z London Master 45Ya 80 (C)
A-Z London Atlas/DeLuxe 1G 73
A-Z London 7E 58
A-Z London Mini 47 1E
Collins London Comprehensive 139 CW73
Collins London 56 J7
Collins London Mini 22 E1
OS Explorer Map: 173
OS Pathfinder Map: 1159

Train: White City LU

Pictures: Please browse the selection here.

The display of inline maps of track locations is no longer
a free service and so has had to be withdrawn

Please use the Electronic Map links

Sponsorship for www.runtrackdir.com is being sought
Please contact Tim Grose


Click the picture for a larger view
Click here to see the list of pictures for this track.




Other Info:

fiogf49gjkf0d
The stadium was built for the 1908 Olympics and consisted of a 24ft wide, 3 laps to the mile running track with a 35ft wide, 660y concrete cycle track outside it. The original track was used for meetings until 1914. In 1922 there was an unsuccessful attempt to sell off the stadium but the track was used in 1924 by some athletes training for the Olympics. This track was grassed over and became a grass 500y greyhound track and was first used on 20th June 1927 and also later for Speedway. In 1931 work began on building a 440y running track and this was completed in early 1932 - the year in which the AAA champs moved here from Stamford Bridge. The track was 27 feet wide which allowed for six standard lanes and an inside lane of 3 feet which was normally just used for distance races. The stadium hosted the 1934 British Empire Games and was used for the AAAs champs each year that they were staged from 1932 until 1970 and for the WAAA champs in most years from 1933 to 1967 but was demolished a few days after the last greyhound meeting on 22nd September 1984. It was situated in the area north of White City Road, south of A40 Westway and west of A40 Wood Lane. Today the BBC building in Wood Lane, next to the overhead A40/M40 junction, covers the land previously occupied by the stadium.

Last update: 11/09/2000

Please send any amendments to Tim Grose

UK Running Track Directory
© Copyright Tim Grose 2003