Chelsea

Stamford Bridge

Chelsea Football Club
Stamford Bridge
Fulham Road
LONDON
SW6 1HS

Telephone: 020 7385 5545 (Main Switchboard)
Fax: 020 7381 4831

Email:
Website:

Type: Cinder (no longer exists - track removed), 440y, 6 lanes, lane straight

Authority:
Ceremonial County: Greater London

NUTS Name: London (SB)

Electronic Map Links:
Multimap 1:10,000 (Street Level)
Multimap 1:25,000 (Area Level)
Multimap 1:50,000 (Area Level)
Multimap 1:100,000 (Road Level)
Multimap 1:200,000 (Road Level)
Streetmap (Street Level)
Streetmap (Area Level)
Streetmap (Road Map)

OS National Grid Reference: TQ 257774
National Grid Reference: 525700, 177400

Paper Maps:
A-Z London Master 52Db 103 (C)
A-Z London Atlas/DeLuxe 8M 73
A-Z London 7K 75
A-Z London Mini 3D 63
A-Z Surrey 3N 13
Collins London Comprehensive 160 DB80
Collins London 66 E7
Collins London Mini 30 C3
OS Explorer Map: 161
OS Pathfinder Map: 1175
Old OS Map London Sheet 87 (Chelsea 1894)

Train:

The display of inline maps of track locations is no longer
a free service and so has had to be withdrawn

Please use the Electronic Map links

Sponsorship for www.runtrackdir.com is being sought
Please contact Tim Grose



Other Info:

fiogf49gjkf0d
The opening meeting of the track was on 28th April 1877 and was the home of London AC. The track was oval-shaped and had a 6 yards wide, 240 yard long straight attached to it. From old photos it appeared to have 6 lanes, at least on the home straight. In the early days the steeplechase water jump was reported to be outside the track in the "Orchard" thus making the race more of a cross country course than pure track race. The AAA championships were held here until 1931 when the track stopped being used for athletics. The track was also used for greyhound racing and speedway from the late 1920s (first speedway meeting 5th May 1928) until about 1968. Chelsea FC bought the ground/lease in 1905, built a large stand and enclosed the ground which meant the 240y sprint straight was lost but a cinder 6 lane, 120 yard sprint straight was built in the infield. The ground was substantially redeveloped the ground in the 1980s. Part of the track (2 lanes width) existed until the early 1980s although nothing remains today. A more detailed history of the ground can be found in the book "The Bridge" by Colin Benson (ISBN 0 950 9798 1 3). The Chelsea FC website also contains a history of the ground.

Last update: 18/01/2001

Please send any amendments to Tim Grose

UK Running Track Directory
© Copyright Tim Grose 2003