Peckham

Rosemary Branch Grounds

Clanfield Way & Copnor Way
part of North Peckham Estate
LONDON

Telephone: N/A
Fax: N/A

Email:
Website:

Type: Unknown surface (no longer exists - built over), 646y, lanes, lane straight

Authority:
Ceremonial County: Greater London

NUTS Name: London (Pec)

Electronic Map Links:
Multimap 1:10,000 (Street Level)
Multimap 1:25,000 (Area Level)
Multimap 1:50,000 (Area Level)
Multimap 1:100,000 (Road Level)
Multimap 1:200,000 (Road Level)
Streetmap (Street Level)
Streetmap (Area Level)
Streetmap (Road Map)

OS National Grid Reference: TQ 335773
National Grid Reference: 533500, 177300

Paper Maps:
A-Z London Master 52Ub 113
A-Z London Atlas/DeLuxe #
A-Z London (Ed 5) 7E 86
A-Z London
A-Z #
A-Z London Mini #
Collins London Comprehensive #
Collins London #
Collins London Mini #

Train:

The display of inline maps of track locations is no longer
a free service and so has had to be withdrawn

Please use the Electronic Map links

Sponsorship for www.runtrackdir.com is being sought
Please contact Tim Grose



Other Info:

fiogf49gjkf0d
The Rosemary Branch Grounds were opened as a horse-racing course by James Smith on 27th Oct 1840. At the time of construction, it was described as follows. "A race course on an extensive scale is in progress, adjoining the Rosemary Branch, at Peckham, and is sufficiently advanced to admit of a day's sport on Tuesday next ... The course consists of two large meadows thrown into one, and the proprietor has been at great expense in forming it." It became the venue of the East Surrey Races, and was used for cricket, pigeon shooting, and from 1843 foot-racing on the 1115yd unroped horse race circuit. In 1847, Smith built a pedestrian course here of 646y, and had plans for constructing a 300y sprint course, on the completion of which "the whole will form a place for various kinds of sport, not to be excelled in England." (Information from John Goulstone in Sports History Magazine, No. 8). A few years there was a display of Pleasure Garden pictures (Main Gallery, Case 16) at the Theatre Museum at Covent Garden a few years back and this included a lithograph of "The Tea Gardens of the Rosemary Branch, Islington, with a view of the tightrope dancing and pony racers, 1846." Part of the enclosed running track was visible in the picture although it is not clear what surface it had. "The Parish of Camberwell" by W H Blanch (1875) refers to the grounds as follows. "The grounds surrounding it were most extensive and horse-racing, cricketing, pigeon-shooting and all kinds of outdoor sports and pastimes were carried on". The 1882 OS map shows depicts "Rosemary Branch Quoit & Cricket Ground" immediately east of Blake's Road which still exists but now the North Peckham Estate covers the area of the ground. Until recently an open space called Rosemary Gardens was immediately south of Blake's Road (and south of the area occupied by the Rosemary Branch Grounds) in the position where Branch Street is now so it is easy to see where their names came from. The Rosemary Branch was a public house and was situated nearby on Southampton Way (formerly Southampton Street and before that Rainbow Lane). The latest version of the building was demolished in 1971.

Last update: 05/08/2001

Please send any amendments to Tim Grose

UK Running Track Directory
© Copyright Tim Grose 2003