West Brompton

Lillie Bridge

Seagrave Road

Telephone: N/A
Fax: N/A


Type: Cinder (no longer exists - built over), 440y, lanes, lane straight

Authority: #
Ceremonial County: Greater London

NUTS Name: London (LB)

Electronic Map Links:
Multimap 1:10,000 (Street Level)
Multimap 1:25,000 (Area Level)
Multimap 1:50,000 (Area Level)
Multimap 1:100,000 (Road Level)
Multimap 1:200,000 (Road Level)
Streetmap (Street Level)
Streetmap (Area Level)
Streetmap (Road Map)

OS National Grid Reference: TQ 254779
National Grid Reference: 525400, 177900

Paper Maps:
A-Z London Master 51Cb 103 (C)
A-Z London Atlas/DeLuxe 7L 73
A-Z London 6J 75
A-Z London Mini 2C 62
A-Z Surrey 2M 13
Collins London Comprehensive 160 DA79
Collins London 66 D6
Collins London Mini 30 B2
OS Explorer Map: 161
OS Pathfinder Map: 1175
Old OS Map London Sheet 86 (Hammersmith & Fulham 1871)
Old OS Map London Sheet 87 (Chelsea 1865)

Train: West Brompton LU

The display of inline maps of track locations is no longer
a free service and so has had to be withdrawn

Please use the Electronic Map links

Sponsorship for www.runtrackdir.com is being sought
Please contact Tim Grose

Other Info:
The track was several hundred yards north of Stamford Bridge in the area between Seagrave Road and the railway line and north of Brompton Park Crescent. It was the brainchild of John Chambers, the driving force of the Amateur Athletics Club, and was opened on 18th March 1869 as a 3 laps to the mile track with square corners around a cricket ground. It was however reported to have been built in 1868. The club had previously been based at Beaufort House which was immediately west of here. In 1884 a 440 yard oval cinder cycle track was built inside the running track to accommodate the cyclists who had come croppers at was known as Hospital Corner. The running track was reported to be "perhaps as good and fair a track as has ever been made" but after 1877 when Stamford Bridge opened the track became neglected and the sub-layer of gravel was exposed in places and at other points the poorly distributed cinders gave way under the feet of the runners. When Walter George beat William Cummings here in a new mile world record of 4 minutes 12.75 seconds on August 23rd 1886, George suggested the race be held on the cycle track which had a top dressing of fine red brick-dust but Cummings preferred the running track and the race was held on this one as he had won the toss of a coin. It is thus not known whether the cycle track was used for athletics. Between the two grounds was a hospital. The track and associated grandstand was burnt down on 18th Sept 1887 by rioting spectators after a fixed sprint match between Harry Gent and Harry Hutchins did not take place because neither of the participants would agree to lose. The grounds were not used again and closed a year later in 1888 and were replaced by railway sidings although these are no longer there. Some sources give the location of Lillie Bridge as Fulham.

Last update: 18/01/2001

Please send any amendments to Tim Grose

UK Running Track Directory
© Copyright Tim Grose 2003