East Ham

Fairbairn & Mansfield Track

Watson Avenue
LONDON

Telephone: N/A
Fax: N/A

Email:
Website:

Type: Cinder (no longer exists - derelict), 352y, 5 lanes, 5 lane straight

Authority: #
Ceremonial County: Greater London

NUTS Name: London (EH)

Electronic Map Links:
Multimap 1:10,000 (Street Level)
Multimap 1:25,000 (Area Level)
Multimap 1:50,000 (Area Level)
Multimap 1:100,000 (Road Level)
Multimap 1:200,000 (Road Level)
Streetmap (Street Level)
Streetmap (Area Level)
Streetmap (Road Map)

OS National Grid Reference: TQ 433842
National Grid Reference: 543300, 184200

Paper Maps:
A-Z Essex 9N 125
A-Z London Master 38Qc 66 (E)
A-Z London Atlas/DeLuxe 3L 63
A-Z London 7E 50
Collins London Comprehensive 145 EN66
Collins London 52 D7
OS Explorer Map: 162
OS Pathfinder Map: 1160

Train: East Ham LU, Barking LU/NR

Pictures: Please browse the selection here.

The display of inline maps of track locations is no longer
a free service and so has had to be withdrawn

Please use the Electronic Map links

Sponsorship for www.runtrackdir.com is being sought
Please contact Tim Grose


Click the picture for a larger view
Click here to see the list of pictures for this track.




Other Info:

fiogf49gjkf0d
The track was part of Fairbairn House Boys club and the athletics part of the club was known as Fairbairn & Mansfield AC. It is situated on a playing field which was split in two by the construction of the South Woodford to Barking Relief Road extension of the A406 North Circular Road in about 1988 and is now waste ground on which horses are kept. The original track surface and curbs are visible in parts but it is totally and/or partially blocked in many places by tall mounds of overgrowth. The track is about 4.5 lanes standard width on the back straight and just under 5 lanes on the home straight. It is definitely shorter than a standard 440y track and is probably 5 laps to the mile (352y). The HJ pit and fan is still evident inside the top bend and there was also a LJ pit here. The track can be accessed from Watson Avenue but the proper entrance to the track was on Burges Road and the facility was often known by that name. It is believed that no track meets were held here after 1959 but the track had been used by Essex Beagles. The track was around a football field. As well as the track there were grass pitches for football, rugby & cricket, a floodlit cinder practice soccer field (unheard of in those days for a youth team), a swimmimg pool and a building with about 6 dressing rooms, showers (again unheard of) and was in use seven days a week all year long.

Last update: 30/01/2001

Please send any amendments to Tim Grose

UK Running Track Directory
© Copyright Tim Grose 2003