Chelsea

Duke of York's Track

Territorial Army
Duke of York's Headquarters
King's Road
LONDON
SW3 4SD

Telephone: 020 7414 5484
Fax: 020 7414 5483

Email:
Website:

Type: Hard, 363y, 5 lanes, 5 lane straight

Authority: #
Ceremonial County: Greater London

NUTS Name: London (DY)

Electronic Map Links:
Multimap 1:10,000 (Street Level)
Multimap 1:25,000 (Area Level)
Multimap 1:50,000 (Area Level)
Multimap 1:100,000 (Road Level)
Multimap 1:200,000 (Road Level)
Streetmap (Street Level)
Streetmap (Area Level)
Streetmap (Road Map)

OS National Grid Reference: TQ 279784
National Grid Reference: 527900, 178400

Paper Maps:
A-Z London Master 50Hb 81 & 7G 203 (C)
A-Z London Atlas/DeLuxe 6D 74
A-Z London 5D 76 & 5F 153
A-Z London Mini 1B 64
Collins London Comprehensive 160 DF78 & 276 E10
Collins London 66 J5 & 19 A3
Collins London Mini 30 G1
OS Explorer Map: 173
OS Pathfinder Map: 1175

Train: Sloane Square LU

Opening Times: Not open to the public
Is track locked/unavailable for casual use at other times: Yes
Charges: N/A

Track Diagram: Click here
Field Event Facilities: None
S/C Water Jump: None

Changing: None
Floodlights: None but there is some surrounding light
Seating: None

Clubs: None

Pictures: Please browse the selection here.

The display of inline maps of track locations is no longer
a free service and so has had to be withdrawn

Please use the Electronic Map links

Sponsorship for www.runtrackdir.com is being sought
Please contact Tim Grose


Click the picture for a larger view
Click here to see the list of pictures for this track.



Click the diagram for a larger view


Other Info:
This track used to be cinder and was the one time training venue of Roger Bannister and Chris Chattaway who are portrayed doing so in the film 'Four Minute Mile'. It is thought to be 363y in length and about 5 lanes wide. The track oval is still there but the surface was tarmaced over in about the early 1990s and the only users now seem to be local junior school children who run round the track during games lessons. The site was in the Cadogan family until the 19th century when the Crown built the Royal Military Asylum to educate soldier's orphans. The school, later renamed the Duke of York's Military School, left the site in 1909 and was replaced by the forerunners of the Territorial Army (TA) in 1911 who renamed the site the Duke of York's Headquartes. It is not clear when the track was built but it is thought to have been there since the early days of the TA's residency. The TA site was sold in early 2000 for 66 million to be developed as shops, offices and housing. The work started in May 2000 with a planned completoin date of summer 2002. However the track area has been sectioned off and together with the listed porticoed Headquarters Building will remain in occupation by the TA until at least 2003.

Last update: 09/05/2000

Please send any amendments to Tim Grose

UK Running Track Directory
© Copyright Tim Grose 2003