Brompton

West London Cricket Ground

Roland Gardens
LONDON

Telephone: N/A
Fax: N/A

Email:
Website:

Type: Unknown surface (no longer exists - built over), 440y, lanes, lane straight

Authority:
Ceremonial County: Greater London

NUTS Name: London (Br-WL)

Electronic Map Links:
Multimap 1:10,000 (Street Level)
Multimap 1:25,000 (Area Level)
Multimap 1:50,000 (Area Level)
Multimap 1:100,000 (Road Level)
Multimap 1:200,000 (Road Level)
Streetmap (Street Level)
Streetmap (Area Level)
Streetmap (Road Map)

OS National Grid Reference: TQ 264783
National Grid Reference: 526400, 178300

Paper Maps:
A-Z London Master 50Eb 81 & 7A 202
A-Z London Atlas/DeLuxe #
A-Z London (Ed 5) 5A 84
A-Z London #
A-Z London Mini #
Collins London Comprehensive #
Collins London #
Collins London Mini #
Old OS Map London Sheet 87 (Chelsea 1865)

Train: Gloucester Road LU

Pictures: Please browse the selection here.

fiogf49gjkf0d
The 1874 OS map image is produced from the www.old-maps.co.uk service with permission of Landmark Information Group Ltd. and Ordnance Survey.

The display of inline maps of track locations is no longer
a free service and so has had to be withdrawn

Please use the Electronic Map links

Sponsorship for www.runtrackdir.com is being sought
Please contact Tim Grose


Click the picture for a larger view

fiogf49gjkf0d
The 1874 OS map image is produced from the www.old-maps.co.uk service with permission of Landmark Information Group Ltd. and Ordnance Survey.
Click here to see the list of pictures for this track.




Other Info:

fiogf49gjkf0d
The track opened for pedestrianism on 28th May 1860. The proprietor was a Mr. John Roberts who was a former professional athlete. As well as a cricket ground, it also included a bowling green and a court for rackets. There is a reference to the track being 3 laps to the 0.5 mile (293 & 1/3y) but another describes it as having a 440y track and 175y sprint track. On 27th June 1863 the first meeting of the London Athletic Club was staged here although the ground was referred to as the West London Running Grounds. It is thought to have been a permanent grass track but according to an 1865 OS map there was a squarish track around the perimeter of the ground which looks to be about 440y so that was likely to have been cinder/gravel but the 3 laps to 0.5 mile one probably grass and marked out inside it. Edwin Jones took over as the owner in May 1865 and the last race was a 1 mile handicap on 31st Oct 1868. The site was taken over for building late in 1868 and Roland Gardens now occupies the area. The ground was also immediately to the east of what is now Thistle Grove which is marked as a track or footpath on current London street maps and was known at the time as Thistlegrove Lane. In those days Thistle Grove was actually the part of what is now Drayton Gardens to the south of Priory Walk (then called Priory Grove). Some references refer to the ground as West London Ground(s) although West London Cricket Ground is shown on the 1865 OS map and the use of cricket was probably not considered necessary when describing running events.

Last update: 30/07/2001

Please send any amendments to Tim Grose

UK Running Track Directory
© Copyright Tim Grose 2003