Bow

Bow Running Ground

Violet Road
LONDON

Telephone: N/A
Fax: N/A

Email:
Website:

Type: Cinder (no longer exists - built over), 586 2/3 y, lanes, lane straight

Authority:
Ceremonial County: Greater London

NUTS Name: London (Bow)

Electronic Map Links:
Multimap 1:10,000 (Street Level)
Multimap 1:25,000 (Area Level)
Multimap 1:50,000 (Area Level)
Multimap 1:100,000 (Road Level)
Multimap 1:200,000 (Road Level)
Streetmap (Street Level)
Streetmap (Area Level)
Streetmap (Road Map)

OS National Grid Reference: TQ 377820
National Grid Reference: 537700, 182000

Paper Maps:
A-Z London Master 42Dc 84
A-Z London Atlas/DeLuxe 7M 61
A-Z London 4D 64
A-Z London Mini 3D 43
Collins London Comprehensive 143 EB70
Collins London 60 B4
Collins London Mini 19 F3

Train: Devons Road DLR, Bromley-by-Bow LU

Pictures: Please browse the selection here.

fiogf49gjkf0d
The 1882 OS map image is produced from the www.old-maps.co.uk service with permission of Landmark Information Group Ltd. and Ordnance Survey.

The display of inline maps of track locations is no longer
a free service and so has had to be withdrawn

Please use the Electronic Map links

Sponsorship for www.runtrackdir.com is being sought
Please contact Tim Grose


Click the picture for a larger view

fiogf49gjkf0d
The 1882 OS map image is produced from the www.old-maps.co.uk service with permission of Landmark Information Group Ltd. and Ordnance Survey.
Click here to see the list of pictures for this track.




Other Info:

fiogf49gjkf0d
The track is believed to have opened in 1859 and was originally known as Clay Hill Gardens, Old Ford, Bow. It was reopened as the Prince of Wales Ground, Bow by Charles Wilson (a well known publican with an interest in pedestrianism) on 10th March 1863 which was the same day as the wedding of the then Prince of Wales and was under the management of Wilson and Jem Pudney (a famous runner). It was however more commonly known as the Bow Running Ground and was railed around and had a grandstand. It was thought to be 3 laps to the mile (586 & 2/3y) but one reference in the Illustrated Sporting News of 11th Apr 1863 describes it as 13 laps to 5 miles (approx 677y). The OS map published in 1882 but probably surveyed some time before shows that the track was near rectangular in shape. The City AC held meetings here in 1863. They were also believed to be known as Mincing Lane AC and then became London AC in 1864. The track was used until at least 1887. It was situated where Violet Road is now, about 200 yards south of Devons Road. A sporting link is retained as a green coloured concrete sports arena off Violet Road covers the western side of where the track was.

Last update: 10/03/2001

Please send any amendments to Tim Grose

UK Running Track Directory
© Copyright Tim Grose 2003