West Brompton

Beaufort House

Sedlescombe Road
LONDON

Telephone: N/A
Fax: N/A

Email:
Website:

Type: Cinder (no longer exists - built over), 499 & 1/3 y, lanes, lane straight

Authority:
Ceremonial County: Greater London

NUTS Name: London (BH)

Electronic Map Links:
Multimap 1:10,000 (Street Level)
Multimap 1:25,000 (Area Level)
Multimap 1:50,000 (Area Level)
Multimap 1:100,000 (Road Level)
Multimap 1:200,000 (Road Level)
Streetmap (Street Level)
Streetmap (Area Level)
Streetmap (Road Map)

OS National Grid Reference: TQ 252778
National Grid Reference: 525200, 177800

Paper Maps:
A-Z London Master 51Cb 103 (C)
A-Z London Atlas/DeLuxe 7L 73
A-Z London 6J 75
A-Z London Mini 2C 62
A-Z Surrey 2M 13
Collins London Comprehensive 160 DA79
Collins London 66 D6
Collins London Mini 30 B2

Train: West Brompton LU

The display of inline maps of track locations is no longer
a free service and so has had to be withdrawn

Please use the Electronic Map links

Sponsorship for www.runtrackdir.com is being sought
Please contact Tim Grose



Other Info:

fiogf49gjkf0d
The track was behind Beaufort House which was situated on North End Road and was in the area now approximately occupied by Sedlescombe Road and Racton Road. The centre of the track was approximately at what is now the junction of Sedlescombe Road and Tamworth Farm Road. It was used from at least 1864 when the first Civil Service sports took place here on 22 and 23 April. It was also the base of the Amateur Athletics Club from 1866 but the track went out of use around 1869 when the Lillie Bridge track opened behind it. The shape of the track was a slightly irregular oval as the bend nearer to Seagrove Road was much tighter than the other one. A note from an 1866 newspaper mentions that the track measured 499 yards 4" one foot from the curb which was the usual way of measuring then. However the depiction of the track on an old OS map seems to suggest it was slightly larger - perhaps about 3 laps to the mile (586 & 2/3 yards). In Athletics by H.H. Griffin it mentions that the track was about 600 yards in 1866 but in 1867 it then boasted a good cinder-path of 3 laps to the mile. The ground was also the home of the South Middlesex Rifle Volunteers and had a 350 yard rifle range bisecting the track with the shooting area on Seagrave Road behind Lillie Bridge. Some sources give the location of Beaufort House as Fulham.

Last update: 11/03/2000

Please send any amendments to Tim Grose

UK Running Track Directory
© Copyright Tim Grose 2003