Coventry

Radford Aerodrome Playing Fields Track

Capmartin Road
COVENTRY

Telephone: N/A
Fax: N/A

Email:
Website:

Type: Cinder (no longer exists - grassed over), 400m/440y, 6 lanes, 6 lane straight

Authority: Coventry
Ceremonial County: West Midlands

NUTS Name: Coventry (R)

Electronic Map Links:
Multimap 1:10,000 (Street Level)
Multimap 1:25,000 (Area Level)
Multimap 1:50,000 (Area Level)
Multimap 1:100,000 (Road Level)
Multimap 1:200,000 (Road Level)
Streetmap (Street Level)
Streetmap (Area Level)
Streetmap (Road Map)

OS National Grid Reference: SP 333813
National Grid Reference: 433300, 281300

Paper Maps:
A-Z Coventry & Rugby 1J 15
A-Z West Midlands 2C 144
A-Z Birmingham (Ed 2A and older) 1B 116
A-Z Coventry (Ed 2B and older) 1J 15
OS Explorer Map: 221
OS Pathfinder Map: 935
OS/Philip's Warwickshire 61 E4

Train: Coventry (2.5M)

The display of inline maps of track locations is no longer
a free service and so has had to be withdrawn

Please use the Electronic Map links

Sponsorship for www.runtrackdir.com is being sought
Please contact Tim Grose



Other Info:

fiogf49gjkf0d
The track has been grassed over although the outline of it is still detectable and this indicates that it had 6 lanes. The outline of a runway is also visible and one SP circle can still be seen. The outline of the track can also be clearly seen on the aerial shot of the location in the Millennium Map. The ground on which the track is situated is used as a football/rugby pitch and is probably used by the adjacent Joseph Cash Primary School, Owenford Road, COVENTRY, CV6 3FS. A sign at the entrance to the school and grass fields mentions Radford Aerodrome Playing Fields and it was at the back of the old Daimler (Jaguar) engine plant, called Radford Works, which was flattened by 2000 to make way for the 'Daimler Green village' development. The track actually belonged to the City Education Committee, and was used by local schools. The Standard Triumph Apprentices Association also used to use it, as did Daimler, presumably for a fee. The only bits of the works that are left is the fire station at the front and the Jaguar Club at the back with its Cricket and Bowls facilities which was where the airstrip was believed to be located alongside Capmartin Road. Daimler moved from the Motor Mills to Sandy Lane, Radford circa 1910, and at the outbreak of the Great War and commenced aero engine, and later, aeroplane production. Extra land (farmland) was acquired behind the site for getting the planes in and out, and it subsequently became a minor fighter base, hence 'Radford Aerodrome' in 1914/15. For a fair period of time in the 1960s/70s, Jaguar/Daimler, Rover and Triumph were all one company.

Last update: 04/08/2000

Please send any amendments to Tim Grose

UK Running Track Directory
© Copyright Tim Grose 2003