Birmingham Alexander Stadium

Walsall Road
Perry Barr
B42 2LR

Telephone: 0121 464 8008
Fax: 0121 464 4084


Type: Synthetic, 400m, 8 lanes, 10 lane straight

Authority: Birmingham
Ceremonial County: West Midlands

NUTS Name: Birmingham

Electronic Map Links:
Multimap 1:10,000 (Street Level)
Multimap 1:25,000 (Area Level)
Multimap 1:50,000 (Area Level)
Multimap 1:100,000 (Road Level)
Multimap 1:200,000 (Road Level)
Streetmap (Street Level)
Streetmap (Area Level)
Streetmap (Road Map)

OS National Grid Reference: SP 065926
National Grid Reference: 406500, 292600

Paper Maps:
A-Z Birmingham 1F 83
A-Z Birmingham Mini 1B 34
A-Z West Midlands 3K 69
A-Z Birmingham (Ed 2A and older) 5H 47
OS Explorer Map: 220
OS Pathfinder Map: 913

Train: Hamstead, Perry Barr, Birmingham New Street (3M)

Opening Times: Mon-Fri 0700-2200, Sat-Sun 0900-1700. Club times (exclusive) Tue 1700-2200
Is track locked/unavailable for casual use at other times: Yes
Charges: Adult 1.60, Junior 0.60

Track Diagram: Click here
Field Event Facilities: Full - 1 HJ, 8 PV (2 1L-CE, 2 1L-DE no rails), 12 LJ, 12 TJ (2L-ALT, 5 1L-DE (2 INT, 3 EXT)), 8 SP (5 INT, 3 EXT - 1 with no board), 4 DT, 3 HT (2C-INT, 2 2C-EXT (1 with no cage), DT only 1C-INT), 2 JT
S/C Water Jump: Outside track, height & length adjustable

Changing: Full
Floodlights: Yes but infield limited
Seating: 7000 (approx) covered in 3 separate stands called Main, Knowles and Nelson, 600 (approx) uncovered on back straight.

Track Certification: Full - valid until 31st Aug 2005

Clubs: Birchfield Harriers

Pictures: Please browse the selection here.

The display of inline maps of track locations is no longer
a free service and so has had to be withdrawn

Please use the Electronic Map links

Sponsorship for is being sought
Please contact Tim Grose

Click the picture for a larger view
Click here to see the list of pictures for this track.

Click the diagram for a larger view

Other Info:
The track started to be built on 9th June 1975 and was opened for training in June 1976. The original surface was 3M Tartan. The complex which originally just comprised the track and Main Stand became fully operational on 1st April 1978 and the official opening meeting was on 11th June 1978. The track was resurfaced with Polytan PUR in 2000 as part of a 1 million improvement programme which also included a new centre green. This is one of the UK's premier athletics stadiums and in recent years has been the venue of the AAA championships. There is no disabled access to the Main Stand but there is to the other two. The steeplechase water jump barrier is adjustable both in length and height and was built in 2000. The track has its own website. There are reported to be plans for an indoor facility at the track which will be built sometime in 2001.

Last update: 30/07/2000

Please send any amendments to Tim Grose

UK Running Track Directory
© Copyright Tim Grose 2003